Creamy chicken soup is an easy way to get a healthy dinner on the table with minimal work! This recipe combines earthy flavors, fresh vegetables, and never turns out mushy! If you prefer a traditional chicken soup, skip the cream – that’s it!
Our kids take this soup for school lunches the day after saving me even more time the morning after. Anything additional I freeze for even quicker meal nights or sick days.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cleaned and trimmed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced into coins then halved
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bag of egg noodles
Salt and pepper plus fresh parsley
- Pull out your slow cooker and set the heat to the 8 hour setting.
- Cook the pasta and set aside for later – or do this step before serving.
- Place the broth, chopped vegetables, and herbs in the slow cooker.
- Clean and trim the chicken and slice it into bite sized pieces. Rub with salt and pepper and place chicken into the slow cooker with the other ingredients. Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours – bye!!
- Stir the contents of the cooker and break up the chicken a bit more with your spoon.
- Remove 1 cup of broth from the cooker and place it in a bowl with the flour and heavy cream. Whisk them all together.
- Gently pour the contents bowl back into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Let this cook for another 20 minutes.
- Place the cooked pasta in serving bowls and ladle the soup over the top. garnish with fresh parsley and serve with a crusty Italian bread.
- Freeze any remaining soup!