An easy twist on traditional cranberry sauce, this recipe makes for an excellent holiday addition.The cinnamon and vanilla add a warm woody taste, which is complimented by the sweet and tart cranberries and orange. Since it only takes 15 minutes to cook, and is always a hit, you may find yourself making this cranberry sauce throughout the year.
- 1 bag of Ocean Spray cranberries
- 5 Macintosh apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of turbinado sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 quarter orange peel
- Combine the sugar, orange juice, and water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.
- Add the apples and the orange peel, simmering for 3-5 minutes.
- Add cranberries and salt, continuing to stir frequently. You’ll do this for about 10 minutes, until most of the cranberries pop.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla and cinnamon while mashing up the apples and any too large cranberries – I do leave some cranberries whole for taste and presentation.
- Let the sauce cool for at least 30 minutes, then refrigerate. It can be served slightly warm or cold. You can also make this dish up to 3 days in advance.