I love a cold noodle salad, especially a Thai Rainbow Noodle Salad. The flavors are herb heavy and the texture is crisp mixed with smooth. I have a friend, a local chef, who makes this dish often. I figured to put my own spin on this traditional Thai salad and pair it with Shrimp or Chicken Satay. The result, well worth posting!
- 1 package Thai flat noodles
- 1 red pepper, very thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks (you can also buy them pre-cut like this).
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 bunch of fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tbs seasoned rice vinegar 2 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbps brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1-3 tablespoons of sriracha
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 2-4 tbs hot water
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions and allow to cool if serving cold, if not move on to the next steps.
- Prepare the dressing: Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl – except the hot water. Whisk the ingredients together, and then add 2 tablespoons of hot water and whisk. Raise the whisk to see if the dressing drips in ribbons. If not, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches this consistency. Adjust the dressings taste with salt and sriracha to your desire.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles with the dressing and toss. Place all of the salad ingredients in the same bowl and gently combine.
- Serve with lime wedges and additional chopped peanuts.
- You can also serve with Shrimp or Chicken Satay – You’ll find the recipe here.