Greek-style meat sauce
Makaronia Me Kima is a Greek-style meat sauce that is bold on taste and an instant hit for both kids and adults. The traditional Greek flavor is so unique – Acidity of the tomatoes intermingles with woody cinnamon, red pepper heat, and fresh mint. Make extra of this dish to freeze for easy dinners on busy nights.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 lb ground beef (90/10)
- 1 16oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- a pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 leaves fresh mint, chopped
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbs salt, 1 tbs pepper
- In a deep sauce pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onions and saute until translucent. Add in the garlic and sauce for an additional minute or two, careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add in the ground meat and cook through, stirring constantly. This takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and allow to reduce. 2-3 minutes.
- Next, you’ll add both the can of sauce and diced tomatoes. Stir until combined. Now add in the salt, pepper and crushed red pepper, plus the cinnamon stick and sugar. Reduce to low heat and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Finally you’ll add in the remaining spices; all spice, cloves, cinnamon, parsley, mint. Stir constantly for 3 minutes and then let simmer on low for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti with an additional mint and parsley and tomato garnish.
This will serve 5-6 people. If my sauce ends up a little too thick, I’ll add a cup of water and combine in.