My friend Kody taught me this recipe in my 20’s, what now seems like a lifetime ago. Now that I’m in my 40’s it’s a standard dish in my healthy food rotation. Have alone, serve with salad, or top a grilled chicken breast. Enjoy!
- 1 cup fine bulgar wheat
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or lemon if you prefer
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- Soak the bulgar wheat in water for 5-7 minute and then drain well. You can squeeze the bulgar to remove excess water. Set aside.
- Very finely chop the tomatoes and place them in a colander to drain.
- Next, finely chop the rest of the vegetables, herbs and green onions. Add in the tomatoes.
- Place the chopped vegetables, herbs and green onions in a serving bowl, mixing in the bulgar wheat and adding salt. I typically use the same bowl as the bulgar was in originally to save on dishes!
- Add the lime juice, olive oil, and mix together.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. If sealed well it should keep for 5-6 days.