This is a family recipe I’m sharing with you. Meatball Caprese is a go-to recipe in my home, one I usually serve once a month. I always make enough to share with the neighbors – it’s that kind of recipe! Simple to assemble and quick to bake, plan for the kids to join in on the cooking.
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 3 tbs of milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1.5 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1 handful of fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs fresh oregano, chopped
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- San Marzano tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- Fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Thick cut bacon, sliced to fit the patty (you can also use anchovies or prosciutto)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the EVOO in a skillet on the stove.
- Place the first 8 ingredients in a bowl, just like you’re making meatballs, mix them together thoroughly with you hands (ground beef, milk, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper).
- Form patties, like hamburgers but a little plumper, and place the patties in the skillet cooking 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the patties to a baking dish and assemble – tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella, bacon – or whatever meat you chose.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese melts, and serve hot.