Recipe submitted by Kari Hoffman, Lake Placid New York
- EVOO for pan
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 cloves of whole peeled garlic
- 2 packages of Italian Sausage – 1 sweet, 1 hot
- 1 bag of baby spinach, fresh
- 14.5oz low sodium chicken broth (approx 3/4 of a large container/box)
- 3 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 box of Rigatoni
- Hard cheese – Parmesan, Romano etc
- Cook pasta and set aside (we do this while making the rest of the dish).
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet and add in the whole garlic cloves. Cooking until softened, usually 4-5 minutes.
- Add Italian Sausage to the pan, cover and cook on medium. You’ll cook mostly through for about 10-15 minutes, flipping frequently.
- Remove the sausage and cut into coins. We typically cut our sweet sausage at an angle, so we know which ones the kids will eat.
- Place sausage back in pan and add in a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Add in Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Pour in chicken broth. Cover and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and additional Salt and Pepper to taste, then simmer for another 20 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes add in fresh spinach.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with the freshly grated cheese of your choice!