- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil1/2 lb.
- Medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 oz white cooking wine
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper2
- 2 cans (15-oz.) cannelloni beans
- 1 can (15-oz.) can whole tomatoes mashed by you
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 full sprigs rosemary, leaves chopped stems removed
- 1 box ditalini pasta
- Freshly grated Parmesan 1/2 cup for the soup and the rest for garnish
- Freshly Italian parsley for garnish
You can add bacon or pancetta. Cook prior to onions and then mix in after garlic!
- In a large, deep pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and saute 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes. Do not burn! Add carrots and celery and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add white wine.
- Add in beans (with their liquid), diced tomatoes, oregano, crushed red pepper, chicken broth, and rosemary. Bring to a boil.
- In a separate pot cook ditalini – al dente. Drain and place separate.
- Reduce heat of soup to low, stir in parmesan cheese and let cook about 1 hour. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve in bowls with pasta first and pour soup over the top.
- Garnish with parmesan and parsley.
- Serve with a warm crusty bread for dipping!